Cranberry Cake Yumminess

I was at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago and found a yummy-looking cranberry dessert in the frozen food section. Since I was 3 hours away from home and the nearest TJs is 90 minutes from my house, I said "good-bye" to it and Googled a knock-off recipe when I got home. I found this Nantucket Cranberry Cake recipe on King Arthur's website. I have no idea if this version is the same as the TJ one, but it was so delicious that it is going to become part of my holiday tradition! It was that combination of tart-but-not-too-tart and sweet-but-not-too-sweet with a cake-cookie crust delicious dessert.

My effort didn't look much like the picture on the King Arthur website, which I attribute to using a 9" pie pan rather than a 10" pie pan. I also simplified the recipe a bit. Next time, I will try the 9" square cake pan or a souffle pan because it did overflow. Thank goodness for parchment paper underneath!

STEP1: Melt butter into the bottom of your dish and add the cranberries, sugar, and walnuts.

STEP 2: Mix the batter and pour over the fruit and nut mixture




STEP 3; Enjoy the finished product!

Nantucket Cranberry Cake Recipe

(adapted from King Arthur recipe)
INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 cups fresh cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (use 1/4 teaspoon if you use salted butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. 
  2. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan and place in the oven for a minute or so until it melts.
  3. Spread the cranberries and nuts in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup sugar.
  4. In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, 3/4 cup melted butter, sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla.
  5. Spread the thick batter over the cranberries and nuts in the pan, using a spatula or your wet fingers.
  6. Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes.
  7. Remove the cake from the oven. Serve warm or at room temperature.



Comments

Popular Posts